CLX community goes to the national stage at the 2019 Connected Learning Summit
The Chicago Learning Exchange Professional Learning Community — a dynamic group of over 200 youth serving organizations and educators — was well represented on the stage and leading workshops at this year’s Connected Learning Summit October 2-5 in Irvine, CA.
LaToia Brown, Executive Director of Nerdy Media, shared “ After weeks of preparation, I gave an ignite talk highlighting the Chicago Learning Exchange funded playlists.”
The annual summit brings together leading researchers, educators, and developers to share their work and fuel a growing movement of innovators harnessing emerging technology to expand access to participatory, playful, and creative learning.
The CLX community, which also brings together researchers, educators, and developers, is leading efforts in Chicago and taking lessons learned to share with their colleagues across the country. The Summit Schedule featured multiple sessions led by CLX members, so I would like to shine a light on how this amazing community is contributing to the growing body of knowledge of connected learning.
- Networked Educators Meetup - by Edgar ‘Edge’ Quintanilla, Digital Manager - DiscoverDesign.org, Chicago Architecture Center and Wade Berger, Graduate Student, Northwestern University Learning Sciences
- Equitable Design Pathways: Building an Opportunities Portal on DiscoverDesign.org - How an Online Portal Seeks to Bridge the Equity Gaps in Architecture, Construction, Engineering, and Design Spaces in the K-12 Connected Learning Context - by Edgar ‘Edge’ Quintanilla, Digital Manager - DiscoverDesign.org, Chicago Architecture Center.
- Reclaiming Digital Futures - Integrating Digital Media in Informal Youth Development Programs - by Jeff McCarter, Founder & Executive Director of Free Spirit Media, Lee Edwards, Free Spirit Media Program Coordinator, The Real Chi Free Spirit Media, Daniel Thorson, YOUmedia Assistant Manager, Chicago Public Library, and Armani Baker Free Spirit Media
- Passion to Purpose - by Mindy Faber, Director, Convergence Design Lab, Columbia College Chicago, and Margaret Conway, Learning Experience Designer, Convergence Design Lab Columbia College
- Connected Learning Guide: Putting Theory Into Practice - by Gina Grant, Director of Community, Chicago Learning Exchange, Sam Dyson, Consultant and Co-founder, Chicago Learning Exchange
- Designing Connected Learning: From Research to Resource - by Sam Dyson, Consultant and Co-founder, Chicago Learning Exchange
- Locative Media and Community Engagement: What Happens When Student Passion, Interests, and Activism Collide? by Lahari Goud, Matsuo Marti
- Design Partnerships for Teaching and Learning: Meteor Writes - by Shoshi Shapiro, Chris Breskey
- Connected Learning in Libraries - Supporting Educator Reflection and Agency Through the Co-Design of Observation Tools and Practices for Informal Learning Environments by Caitlin K Martin, Eric Reyes, Ephran Ramirez, Lisa Brahms, Annie McNamara, Peter Wardrip
- Ignites Talks + Closing Remarks about LRNG Podcast Playlists by La Toia J Brown
If you’re interested in sharing your work, join us at a CLX Professional Learning Community Meetup.
CLX will continue to provide CLX Community members with travel stipends to attend the 2020 Summit. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly regarding your comments and concerns: email@example.com.
CLX Travel Application Dates:
- Call for Application Open: January 13, 2020
- Deadline for submissions: April 30, 2020
- Review: May 2020
- Notifications: June 1, 2020
- Conference dates: July 29-31, 2020 in Massachusetts