Energizing Opportunities Teaching Assistant/Peer Mentor Position
Energizing Opportunities Teaching Assistant/Peer Mentor
Grade 11 Summer Earn & Learn Program
The Chicago Learning Exchange (CLX), with support from the Illinois Science and Energy Innovation Foundation, has developed a summer learn-and-earn program to expose 11th grade students to electrical utilities careers, promote further study, and provide engaging programming to prepare them for employment in the power and utilities sectors.
CLX is collaborating with Chicago Public Schools (CPS) Department of Career and Technical Education, Dawson Technical Institute, ComEd, INTREN, and Mumkin Studio (Learning Designers) to create a six-week summer program that will expose CPS juniors to careers in energy through project-based learning experiences.
In close collaboration with the CLX Program Coordinator, the Energizing Opportunities Teaching Assistant is responsible for the implementation of a pre-designed course. Energizing Opportunities is a special summer “learn-and-earn” employment program providing teens with a paid six-week learning experience involving engaging project-based learning related to energy and electrical challenges. This program will provide the foundational skills needed for entry to more advanced Overhead Electrical Line Worker training at City Colleges of Chicago. The program will also use LRNG, a national digital badging and learning platform, to issue microcredentials known as digital badges to recognize skills achievements within the program.
COURSE CONTENT INCLUDES:
- Electricity Basics (Circuits and Power, the History of Energy, Physics in Circuits)
- Electricity Data and Management of Grid (Community energy audit and “Power Down” scenario)
- Physical Education (Force of Phys Ed, energy conversion and overhead line workout)
- Safety and Teamwork (OSHA guidelines, safety strategies)
- Transferable Soft Skills (employment readiness, supervisor/trainee interactions, checking for safety)
The long-term impacts of the proposed program should include:
- Creating clear and transparent pathways for engagement in skilled trades training after a summer trades training experience.
- Exposure to high-paying regional jobs in energy fields.
- Improved strategies for meeting the unmet demand of the Overhead Electrical Line Worker industry.
Additionally, the course will increase content knowledge, applied vocabulary and numeracy skills connected to the tasks of an Overhead Electrical Lineworker.
EMPLOYMENT DATES AND STIPENDS:
- This is a contract position
- Course Duration: 6 weeks; Mondays-Thursdays; June 27 –August 9, 2019, five hours per day with youth, plus an extra 30 minutes per day for prep and cleanup
- CLX Onboarding & Tentative Training Date: June 2019. Date TBD; 6-8 hours
- Compensation: $15 per hour
- Assume program related responsibilities as requested by CLX administrative staff and Lead Instructor.
- Assist Lead Instructor with executing the course curriculum with an eye toward individual student progress and achievement.
- Responsible for becoming knowledgeable of the curriculum and course preparation in accordance with the objectives of the instructional program
- Establish positive learning expectation for all youth.
- Exhibit and apply knowledge of the curriculum content related to subject areas and instructional level.
- Establish and maintain reasonable rules of conduct within diverse learning consistent with the provisions of the Chicago Public Schools' Uniform Discipline Code.
- Encourage student growth in self-discipline and positive self-concept.
- Ensure fairness in the instructor-student relationship and exhibits an understanding and respect for students.
- Participate in in-service meetings and professional development meetings and use pertinent information and materials provided.
- Assist Lead Instructor with maintaining documentation of student progress.
- Assist Lead Instructor in reviewing student assessment artifacts, pre/post assessments, and student work samples on the LRNG platform.
- High School degree required; Some college preferred.
- Demonstrate some experience with working with youth in some type of teaching capacity.
- Career Technical Education knowledge and experience preferred, but not required.
- Must be able to adapt content for diverse learners.
- Experience with a compacted curriculum is a plus.
- Knowledge of digital badging preferred but not required.
Physical Requirements. Workout: Ability to facilitate daily 40 min exercise routine, Light Work: Physical demands include the ability to stoop occasionally, and lift up to 20 lbs.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to Jessica Rosenberg (email@example.com) by June 7, 2019.
Chicago Learning Exchange is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.