We're hiring an instructor for our Illuminating Energy Pathways program
Illuminating Energy Pathways Instructor
Who We Are:
The Chicago Learning Exchange (CLX), with support from the Illinois Science and Energy Innovation Foundation, developed a six week summer learn-and-earn program to expose high-school-aged students to electrical utilities and energy related careers.
What You Will Do:
This role is a part-time summer independent contractor position. In close collaboration with the CLX Program Manager, the Empowering Designs Instructor is responsible for implementation of a pre-designed course curriculum. This is an engaging project-based curriculum designed to provide foundational skills necessary for entry into more advanced solar construction education and/or careers. The program will use the MyChi.MyFuture learning platform to issue microcredentials known as digital badges to recognize skill attainment and curriculum completion.
You will gain exposure and connections to Chicago Public Schools (CPS) Departments of Career and Technical Education & STEM, Dawson Technical Institute, ComEd, INTREN, Learning Dimensions, and Mumkin Studio (learning designers).
If you are passionate about working with diverse young people in Chicago, believe in the value of early career exploration and skill development for youth, and have an interest in renewable energy, please apply!
EMPLOYMENT DATES AND COMPENSATION:
- This is a contract position
- Onboarding date: Tentative, June 30, 2021. - If possible, in person at Dawson Technical Institute
- Course Duration: 6 weeks; July 5 –August 12, 2021
- Work Hours: Mondays-Thursdays, 9:00am to 2:00pm. Five hours per day with youth, an additional hour per day for prep, cleanup, assessment (six hours total)
- Student (virtual) orientation day: June 2021.
- Total Compensation: $6,450 (for the entire 6 weeks program and training/onboarding)
- Assume program related responsibilities as requested by CLX administrative staff.
- Execute the provided course curriculum with an eye toward individual student progress and achievement.
- Responsible for becoming knowledgeable of the curriculum and course preparation in accordance with the objectives of the instructional program.
- Establish positive learning expectation standards for all youth, and evaluate youth progress and maintain current and accurate records of youths’ achievements.
- Exhibit and apply knowledge of the curriculum content related to subject areas and instructional level.
- Establish and maintain reasonable rules of conduct within diverse learning consistent with the provisions of the Chicago Public Schools' Uniform Discipline Code.
- Evaluate and assess student performance according to CLX guidelines and course objectives.
- Maintain accurate attendance records and program-related record keeping.
- Encourage student growth in self-discipline and positive self-concept.
- Ensure fairness in the instructor-student relationship and exhibit an understanding and respect for students.
- Maintain documentation of student progress through a dedicated learning management system.
**This summer’s course is currently planning to be run in a hybrid format. Two days a week instruction will be held virtually, and two days a week instruction will be held in person (12 pupil class, following spacing and health and safety guidelines as set by Dawson Technical Inst.). If this format is deemed unsafe by local officials we are prepared to switch to an all virtual format.
COURSE CONTENT INCLUDES:
- Solar and Construction Basics
- Sustainable Energy and Construction
- Materials Handling and Hand Tools
- Safety and Teamwork (OSHA guidelines, safety strategies)
- Transferable Soft Skills (employment readiness, supervisor/trainee interactions, checking for safety)
- Passion and enthusiasm for helping students explore new content and career interests.
- Bachelor’s degree and teaching experience required.
- Career Technical Education knowledge and experience preferred, but not required.
- Instructors must be able to adapt content for diverse learners.
- Experience with a hybrid curriculum is a plus.
- Knowledge of digital badging is preferred but not required.
Physical Requirements. Workout: Ability to facilitate daily 40 min exercise routine, Light Work: Physical demands include the ability to stoop occasionally, and lift up to 20 lbs.
To apply, please send a resume to Luke Karner(email@example.com)