Hiring: CLX Development & Communications Manager
Chicago Learning Exchange (CLX) is seeking a Development & Communications Manager who has a track record of raising funds through institutional giving and individual giving strategies. In this role, you will need to be highly organized, have excellent and efficient writing and presentation skills. CLX is a small but mighty team, so you will have the opportunity to work independently and collaboratively with various CLX staff and programs. You will also work closely with CLX’s Executive Director to draft and edit grant proposals, reports, and presentations. You will also lead our internal and external communications, such as newsletters and social media.
A can-do creative attitude with a good sense of humor and communication skills is ideal. This is a full-time position that requires flexibility to work some evenings and weekends as needed.
Essential Job Functions:
- Create an aggressive, achievable annual fundraising plan that includes new and existing fundraising strategies and events, priorities, and timelines; in particular, develop an individual-giving strategy
- Collaborate with the Finance Manager and Executive Director to develop annual revenue targets
- Develop online campaigns and events that engage a diversity of stakeholders in supporting CLX
- Lead strategy, writing, and submission of all grant-related materials, including letters of inquiry, proposals, and reports
- Facilitate staff, board, and volunteer participation in fundraising efforts
- Develop and issue all internal and external communications related to fundraising
- Leverage Salesforce and external databases to develop data-informed goals and strategies
- Build and maintain lists of donors, media, and stakeholders with accuracy
- Oversee all fundraising-related special events and projects to ensure that financial goals and objectives are met
Cultivation and Stewardship
- Explore/research corporate, foundation, and individual prospects for financial and in-kind support; develop cultivation and stewardship strategies and execution
- Create and implement strategies to engage current and prospective donors, thought leaders, and other stakeholders in our work
- Develop and execute an annual communications plan that builds the CLX brand and engages donors, partners, thought leaders, and other stakeholders in our work
- Write, edit, design, and oversee the timely production of printed materials for CLX programs and initiatives
- Cultivate relationships with media and develop story pitches. Maintain media contacts in the agency contact database. Serve as the primary point of contact for the press
- Build CLX’s social media presence. Prepare, lead, and manage social media initiatives and campaigns
- Oversee CLX’s website, ensuring fresh, engaging content that attracts usage. Track analytics on-site traffic
- Ensure brand integrity for all CLX communications and events
- Assist in the creation of strategic partnerships for increased brand awareness and community outreach
- Serve as a resource to the CLX Program team
- Liaison to external communications resources, including graphic designers, photographers, videographers, writers, printers, consultants, etc.
- Maintain and facilitate photography and imagery of programs and events
Requirements of the Position:
- Embraces the mission and values of CLX
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree in English, journalism, communications is preferred
- At least three years of experience in mission-oriented resource development and communications
- Thorough understanding of all components of a diversified funding base including donor prospecting and cultivation (individual, corporate) and grant research and application cycles (philanthropic, state, and federal)
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, including a demonstrated ability to write clearly and persuasively and to make effective presentations
- Highly organized, fast-paced, deadline-oriented
- Attention to detail
- Ability to build and foster relationships with a diverse range of people
- Experience with digital media and technology
- Strong analytical skills
- Highly collaborative work style
- Entrepreneurial; enjoys developing and implementing new initiatives
- Self-starter with a high degree of initiative, enthusiasm, and ability to work independently; ability to effectively manage time and prioritize projects
- A passion for education, youth development, and equity issues
- Willing to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends
- Proficiency with Google Suite, Microsoft Office, Acrobat, Salesforce, Donation tools, Website, Eventbrite, social media, and other communication tools
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation will be based on experience. Position includes health, dental, vision, and life insurance. In the first year of work, 12 days of paid vacation and 10 days of company holidays.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line of the email, please use the following format: Last name.First initial- Development and Communications Manager Applications. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Online submission in PDF format is preferred. No phone calls, please. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
This job primarily operates in a work from home setting due to COVID-19. Once the pandemic is over, CLX may return to a clerical, office setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets.
Local travel to community events and meetings is required. 10-20% of local travel.
Potential annual out of state travel may/will be required to represent CLX. This is currently subject to change due to COVID-19 restrictions.
This job is clerical and primarily a sedentary role. However, during travel and preparation for events, it may be required to stand and/or sit for prolonged periods of time and lift and carry objects up to 30lbs.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
It is the policy of CLX to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, CLX will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.