Jobs / Job Details
Innovation Educator @ The Hidden Genius Project
PURPOSE AND SUMMARY:
The Innovation Educator within The Hidden Genius Project is the fundamental driver of student programming activities with a core focus on the Intensive Immersion Program inside the classroom. Hence, they are primarily responsible for implementing the technical curriculum, including problem-solving, computer science, programming, and software design. Additionally, they co-coordinate and oversee a team of Youth Educators to teach the entrepreneurship and leadership components. The Hidden Genius Project seeks to effect a radical transformation in the pedagogy of computer science, entrepreneurship, and leadership, and the Innovation Educator will serve as a fundamental strategist toward this end. Accordingly, it is vital that they continually exercise ingenuity, enthusiasm, and a deep commitment to continual learning within an exciting expanding environment. Finally, the Innovation Educator works as part of a dynamic, communicative, and supportive team of staff, Youth Educators, and Board members committed to their success. This is the consummate role for the educator with a creative and entrepreneurial spirit.
Please speak to why you would like to do this work and serve young Black males in your cover letter.
MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Curriculum Design: Work with the Senior Innovation Educator and Curriculum Lead/Specialist to continually re/develop and innovate an existing in/external facing curriculum that is broadly accessible, aligned with The Hidden Genius Project Immersion Curriculum goals and values.
Curriculum Adaptation: Partner with The Hidden Genius Project instructional leadership to adapt and refine core curricula to meet the needs of the local site.
Core Instruction: Teach core curricular concepts (i.e. technology, entrepreneurship, and leadership) to Immersion cohort during summer and school-year sessions. Coordinate Youth Educators and lead educational activities within Catalyst programming.
Training, Technical Assistance, & Facilitation: Facilitate training and/or convenings for Genius alumni interested in becoming Youth Educators. Train the current Youth Educators on advanced programming skills, enhanced content, and methods. Train and supervise Youth Educators to support classroom and Catalyst activities, and manage them within those settings.
Other duties as assigned
● Serve as an exceptional role model and mentor to The Hidden Genius Project participants.
● Communicate effectively (via email, phone, and/or postal mail) and in a timely manner with all relevant constituencies, including participants and their parents/guardians.
● Act as a dynamic ambassador to The Hidden Genius Project within the community.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
● Excellent leadership abilities
● High comfort level with technology
● Experience working and communicating effectively with Black youth, underrepresented youth, and/or low-income youth
● Intense commitment to the life success of Black males and boys and men of color
● Experience mentoring and working closely with Black male youth
● “Can do” attitude and ability to work as part of a team
● Experience in project management. Willingness to develop differentiated learning experiences
● Ability to prioritize, organize, and delegate effectively
● Ability to receive feedback and engage in continuous self-improvement
● Ability to adapt to a dynamic, rapidly-changing work environment
● Ability to build positive relationships with all important constituencies
● Strong knowledge of youth development field and models
● Firm belief in personal accountability, producing measurable outcomes and sustaining high expectations
● Bachelor’s Degree
● Experience teaching problem-solving and/or math skills
● Experience working in the technology industry
● Commitment to achieving The Hidden Genius Project’s mission and vision
● Ability to work more than 40 hours per week, and during the evenings and weekends, as needed
- Role Location: Chicago, IL. (in-person)
- Reports to: Director of Curriculum and Instruction (headquarters based in Oakland, CA) or Site Senior Innovation Educator (if applicable)
- Status: Exempt
- Schedule: Full Time (minimum of 40 hours per week)
- Must be able to navigate various virtual platforms such as Zoom, Hopin, Microsoft Teams, and Google Suite
● Paid professional development
● Dynamic, fun work environment
● Excellent opportunity to make a significant impact in the lives of numerous underserved youth
● Entrepreneurial organization; implement your own ideas and see the effects
● Meet and interact with multifarious individuals in the technology industry
● Opportunity to play a fundamental role in building an international program
● Opportunity to innovate in building effective models for holistic technology instruction
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
● The employee will occasionally climb or balance; regularly sit, stand, talk, listen, stoop, kneel,
crouch, reach with hands and arms, and move around for extended periods of time.
● The employee will occasionally lift up to 50 pounds
● Travel and supervise transportation of students as needed