Jobs / Job Details
Chicago Community Outreach Specialist at Argonne in Chicago
Educational activities are facilitated by the Educational Programs and Outreach Department within Argonne. The mission of Educational Programs and Outreach is to connect world-class research to tomorrow’s STEM problem solvers.
Argonne Education cultivates the next generation of scientists and engineers by connecting with over 23,000 youth and families through our Outreach programs, inspiring 4,400 middle and high school students in our on-site Learning Center and providing internships and on-site programming to over 800 university students each year.
Argonne has recently launched a second location in Hyde Park, a South Side neighborhood of Chicago. Argonne in Chicago will focus on delivering four strategic goals:
- Community – To extend benefits from Argonne’s capabilities and resources to disadvantaged communities.
- Science – To advance science and technology through expanded collaborations.
- Partnerships – To accelerate the transfer and adoption of technology by industry for U.S. economic prosperity.
- Education – To build the workforce of the future to maintain U.S. competitiveness.
Argonne is launching a STEM Education asset mapping project across nine neighborhoods in Chicago (Woodlawn, Washington Park, Oakland, Douglas, Grand Boulevard, Kenwood, Hyde Park, Greater Grand Crossing and South Shore). When completed this project will provide real-time data on all STEM education programming, employment, and resources. This role will play an integral part in this project by supporting Argonne’s emerging STEM education community engagement, data collection and follow activities.
This position is funded through Sept 30, 2022 with opportunity for extension.
In this role you will:
Assist the community mapping project in identifying key stakeholders across the nine communities, support data collection and analysis and facilitate communication with community members. (50%)
- Maintaining key stakeholder lists and contact information; and provide regular project updates and other communications to key stakeholders.
- Assessing data collection processes and filling in gaps in datasets where needed.
- Assisting others in curating datasets for visualizations and maps.
Help mature relationships with STEM community organizations by providing follow-up activities and experiences to community groups and members. (25%)
- Participating in community group follow-up meetings and help deliver on actions items that come from discussions.
- Ensuring community groups are connected and notified of Argonne events and activities.
- Build new experiences for community groups as determined from relationship-building conversations.
Plan large multiple-community events that include STEM learning activities. (25%)
- Managing all the logistics of a large event (i.e. setting agenda, securing space, curating resources).
- Advertising events across the nine communities and ensure key stakeholders are included.
We expect you to have the following knowledge, skills, or experience:
- Event management and community engagement within an urban setting
- Ability to build and maintain strong positive relationships with diverse community members and professional organizations
- Experience facilitating informal education outreach activities to all age audiences (STEM programming experience a plus)
- Proficiency with the use of various technology (ie. computers, tablets, etc.) and programs (ie. excel, google suite, file sharing, etc.)
Minimum Education Requirements
- Bachelors Degree, preferably in community relations, event planning, education or STEM disciplines
This position description documents the general nature and level of work but is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all activities, duties, and responsibilities required for job incumbent. Consequently, job incumbent may be required to perform other duties as assigned. This position will be required to participate in occasional weekend programming.
Professional Administrative (PA)Job Profile
Education Outreach 1Worker Type
Long-Term (Fixed Term)Time Type
Full timeAs an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.